Cost of Change FeesList of Airlines Dropping FeesNote about Fare Differences
Cost of Change Fees
Some of us who would ordinarily be planning a trip and buying tickets right now are holding off, waiting for the latest news and statistics on coronavirus or COVID-19. Find updated health information at the Centers for Disease Control as well as tips and advice specifically targeting travelers. For the latest on international travel, check with Travel.State.Gov which has excellent country-by-country information.
Airlines are well aware that many will not and cannot fly during this pandemic, so they are trying to ease coronavirus travel fears about future flights by waiving change fees (which can cost from $75 to $200 per ticket). In other words, book now, then change your mind about flying later if you want, without paying a penalty. As for full refunds, some are allowing this but information keeps changing; click the airline names below to see the very latest guidelines.
U.S. Airline Fee Waivers
We update these pages as soon as we become aware of new information.
- UPDATED 3-30-2020: Change fees will be waived for tickets purchased through April 30 for travel through February 2021.
- UPDATED 3-30-2020:Change fees will be waived for tickets purchased through April 15.
- UPDATE3-30-2020: Change fees will be waived for tickets purchased through April 15.
- UPDATED 3-30-2020: Change fees are waived for some flights, but not all; it depends when you purchase the tickets. More information.
- UPDATED 3-30-2020: Change fees waived for flights booked March 1-31 for any Hawaiian flight; changes/cancellations must be made within 24 hours of take-off. NOTE:There is now a 14-day quarantine requirement that went into effect March 26 for all arrivals into the state of Hawaii.
- UPDATED 3-30-2020: Change fees will be waived for customers traveling through May 31, 2020; customers may rebook their flights for travel through October 24, 2020.
- This airline isn’t waiving change fees because it doesn’t charge any. If you want to change or cancel a flight, simply let Southwest know at least ten minutes before take-off. Cost to you: $0.
- UPDATED 3-30-2020: The airline asks customers to contact them for a reservation credit, and to do so online if possible.
- UPDATED 3-30-2020: For tickets issued March 3 through March 31, 2020, customers will be permitted to change free of charge to a flight of equal or lesser value for travel up to 12 months from the original ticket issue date.
International Airline Fee Waivers
Click the airline name for the latest information on changing or cancelling your tickets.
Note about Fare Differences
In some cases, if you cancel or change your flight to a later date – one which has more expensive airfares, you may have to pay the difference.